2012 Miles

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Successful Long Run


My long runs have been hit or miss here lately. Either really great or really bad. Last week due to weather and lack of motivation I only ran 12 miles or so instead of 14 or 16. This week I knew I had to run 16 miles and maybe 18. I started off with most of our usual running group but I knew I would have to drop off by myself so I could take it easy on my hip. When we hit 11 miles I decided to head back the "flat" way to avoid some of the bigger hills on the Pike. I could have made it 15 miles or 17 miles and I was good with that. Then I remembered I don't run odd numbers : ) So I went for 16 and was happy with the decision. Slightly challenging but I felt good and not injured when I was finished. I just have a few more weekends before my marathon. My next few weekends should go like this:
18 miles, 20 miles, 1/2 marathon, 18 miles, 20 miles, taper and then RACE weekend. 

I am hoping to go into Nashville well trained with out overtraining! I would just love to get around a 4:15 and finish strong since the last 2 have been pretty miserable. 

  New plan for the week is:
Monday: Ripped/Elliptical
Tuesday: Run and maybe Spin
Wednesday: Ripped/Elliptical
Thursday: Run/Ripped
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long Run

In some ways it is less mileage but my long runs are to the point that I have to cut back. My hip can't handle 40 mile weeks all the time so I need to change it. I would rather run less and be able to run than hurt myself so much that I can no longer run. 
Sunday: Easy no watch run 

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were running another marathon! Good luck at Nashville :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the run! I don't run odd numbers on long distance runs, either! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am changing from miles to time in my training, I am not sure if that is a good idea, but it working so far, I try to beat the previous distance timed distance, it is fun.... for now

    Nice running and good luck in Nashville

    ReplyDelete